Welcome

Retired, work part-time or shifts, enjoy being out in the countryside? Then cycle the lanes and byways of Cheshire and surrounding areas with Chester Easy Riders: you won't get left behind.
Chester Easy Riders is an independent cycling club affiliated to Cycling UK. We cycle every Thursday throughout the year with moderate and brisk day rides of 40 to 80 miles.

For more information see the About Us tab.

Saturday 7 August 2010

29th July 2010: Holt

I set off from Chester without considering a route and cycled to the Gallery Tea shop at Hawarden.  On arrival I was surprised to be first as it was 10:45!!  Oh no I thought, wrong place again! Quick check on diary confirmed correct start so it was Ivan on his own.
No more ER's arrived so I bid farewell to the staff and decided to set off.  Again this was without map or any navigation so went with instincts.
Turn left through the village into Wood Lane - the only lane name I can remember and down to Buckley.  Carried on along a very narrow lane passing the Padeswood golf course to Pontblyddyn and the A5104.  A right hand turn put me on course for the A541.  I have now got accustomed to lane cycling and decided to get off and head into the rolling hills running alongside the road.  This was up to Coed Llai (Hope Mountain!!) which was a testing hill - the Mow Cop of the area as it has a couple of chevrons.

Photograph by Ivan Davenport

Photo shoot at the top and enjoyed a brief down hill but decided not to go all the way to the bottom but carried on below the top passing Waun Llyn Park.  This road ran all along the top and I came off at Cefn-y-bedd.  A great down hill to the lights, then took a right and left turn on route to Llay.  Now back on previous explored roads I was targeting myself to get home around 16:00 so carried on towards Gresford and another great down hill ride.  On arrival at Holt thought I would have early lunch as I was doing a BBQ on arrival home and went into a Black and White pub which sold real ale!!!  Never asked about lime and soda.  After replenishing myself it was out towards Farndon, then Crewe by Farndon and round to Bickerton and headed back towards Chester arriving home slightly early but enjoyed the ride.
Found out the following week I may have had company if waited a little longer at the coffee shop unfortunately Jim had a puncture that delayed his arrival.
All in all about 50+ miles and max speed of 47mph (Gresford bank).
ID

No comments:

Post a Comment