Welcome

Retired, work part-time or shifts, enjoy being out in the countryside? Then cycle the lanes and byways of Cheshire and surrounding areas with Chester Easy Riders: you won't get left behind.
Chester Easy Riders is an independent cycling club affiliated to Cycling UK. We cycle every Thursday throughout the year with moderate and brisk day rides of 40 to 80 miles.

For more information see the About Us tab.

Saturday 12 August 2017

10th August 2017 : Special Long Ride to Longdon on Tern (brisk)

As I cycled the few miles from home to Waverton, I looked forward to a gentle albeit long meander following Stephen to Longdon on Tern. On arrival, I learned that I had been elevated to joint leader of a brisk (more like elite) group comprising John W, Andy B, Tom and Paul by reason of the fact that I had Steve H's original route on my Garmin. I won't attempt to describe the route as Clive has done an admirable job in his report of the moderates ride.

Before I could draw breath we were off, with John W leading the way at a “steady” 20mph, obviously taking it easy to allow us to comfortably complete 100 miles! Tom thought the pace might slow eventually but mused that if not we might arrive back at Waverton for lunch. After several miles, I proffered the suggestion that perhaps we make a full day of it! The pace dropped from super brisk to merely brisk which got us to our first stop at Sainsbury's in Whitchurch in no time at all. Bacon and eggs and drinks were consumed and as we set off again the Mods arrived. Paul spotted that I has a front flat which was my first puncture in years so it took a while and assistance from John W to get me rolling again. 

We sailed on without event to Longdon on Tern and the Tayleur Arms – a fine lunch destination. It's a cracking pub and for future reference the so called light bites were pretty substantial. Ordering and service was at the usual country pub pace and as we were scraping our plates the Moderates arrived. 
Proof positive of arrival
After about an hour we were off again, enjoying lovely lanes and glorious sunshine. This leg was a little hillier than advertised and, from Clive's report, I now realise it was the uphill run towards Marchamely that began to drain my legs of any power. Lacking his extensive knowledge of the area, we did not have the option of ducking The Hill and it was half way up that I decided I had no choice but to answer a call of nature! Of course no one believed that excuse for a minute, but the pace was adjusted for a few miles so that we arrived together for our third stop of the day at Sainsburys, Whitchurch. We must try Café Bon Sol next time!

Anyway we are soon motoring along familiar lanes only stopping at a railway crossing barrier (no idea where) and later at the raised canal swing bridge next to the Dusty Miller, Wrenbury. As I watch the barge sail serenely across out path I ponder the attractions of cruising at 3 mph from pub to pub. Chester Easy Cruising anyone? 

We'll wait awhile.
We arrive at Bunbury at 4:45 but Tillys are just closing so we call at the Co-op for water. John W introduces me to Frijj, a cold chocolate milkshake which is the official drink of the GB Athletic Team. It was heaven and had the effect of propelling me past Beeston Castle and up the hill after the Shady Oak with relative ease. Hardly surprising as a recent campaign against sweet drinks named Frijj as the 3rd worst offender containing 50 grammes of sugar in a 471 ml bottle. Who cares after 100 miles of cycling!

We arrive back at the start at about 5:40 where Andy B decides he needs to add a loop so as to complete 150 miles on arrival home in Mold! Paul, Tom, John and I settle for direct routes home and just under 120 miles completed, averaging 16 mph. Not bad I think, but next year don’t expect me to have the route on my Garmin!

If you wish to "re-live" the route then follow  https://www.relive.cc/view/1126937568


JM

2 comments:

  1. Steve, Many thanks for all the work you put in to making the moderate long ride such a success. It was a great route. It is a travesty that your sudden illness prevented you from taking part yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, Great write up and the 'relive' feature is excellent!

    ReplyDelete